Valve Announces Steam Machines
Valve today announced they are working with multiple partners to bring a variety of Steam gaming machines to market during 2014, all of them running SteamOS.
Valve has designed a high-performance prototype that’s optimized for gaming, for the living room, and for Steam. It’s also completely upgradable and open.
This year Valve will be shipping just 300 of these boxes to Steam users, free of charge, for testing. You can make yourself eligible to get one. Add yourself to the list of candidates by completing the Eligibility Quest on Steam.
The Hardware Beta Eligibility Quest
Before October 25th, log in to Steam and then visit your quest page to track your current status towards beta test eligibility.
1. Join the Steam Universe community group
2. Agree to the Steam Hardware Beta Terms and Conditions
3. Make 10 Steam friends (if you haven’t already)
4. Create a public Steam Community profile (if you haven’t already)
5. Play a game using a gamepad in Big Picture mode
You can complete the steps in any order. Once you’ve completed all of the steps, you’ll be awarded a special badge, and you’ll officially be among the pool of people from whom Valve will choose beta participants / hardware recipients.
On October 25th, the list will be locked. So complete the quest before then.