Nintendo Introduces the ‘Year of Luigi’
In a Nintendo Direct video, Nintendo provided details about games on the way that feature Luigi, as well as information about several upcoming games, including content for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS across packaged and digital formats.
The Year of Luigi
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – The game that kicks off the Year of Luigi launches March 24th and will include additional multiplayer modes beyond the previously revealed Hunter Mode. Up to four players with their own Nintendo 3DS can team up via local wireless, pair up in Download Play or connect over the Internet to escape each floor within the time limit in Rush Mode and search for the hidden ghost dogs in Polterpup Mode.
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – A new installment in the Mario & Luigi role-playing series is coming to Nintendo 3DS this summer. The game takes place inside the mind of a sleeping Luigi, who is a powerful, brave hero in his dreams.
- New Super Luigi U – To continue the fun of New Super Mario Bros. U for Wii U, Nintendo is letting Luigi take over in new downloadable content that provides alternate versions of the game’s more than 80 stages. Players can freely change between the New Super Luigi U and New Super Mario Bros. U stages. These Luigi-focused stages will be available for purchase as a single download.
- Fore! – Luigi and his Mushroom Kingdom neighbours are teeing up once again in Mario Golf: World Tour. The Nintendo 3DS game includes both simple controls and a deeper experience for golf fans, plus courses that range from traditional to those inspired by the Mushroom Kingdom. The game launches this summer.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D – The Wii game is getting a portable 3D makeover that makes the layered graphics pop. The game launches this summer.
- Turning Over a New Leaf – Animal Crossing: New Leaf launches on June 9th. It is the definitive version of Animal Crossing, with new features and general improvements across the entire game, including new species of animal neighbours, new ways to customize your house and town, and a new main street shopping area and model home showcase.
- The Chase Begins – LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins launches April 21st. The game is set two years prior to the action of the Wii U game, and follows the first case of rookie cop Chase McCain in a still-growing and developing LEGO City.
- Downloadable Games – Nintendo announced a number of new games coming to the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS, including Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (coming soon), Dillon’s Rolling Western: The Last Ranger (coming April 11th), HarmoKnight from Game Freak (demo available March 14th, full game on March 28th) and Kersploosh! (coming March 7th).
- Spreading Like Fire Emblem – Two new downloadable maps are now available for purchase at the Outrealm Gate on the world map in Fire Emblem Awakening. For $2.50, the Champions of Yore 3 map lets players battle against characters such as Marth, Roy and Ike. Players who have already purchased the Champions of Yore map pack can now access this new map to earn a new playable character named Michaiah and a special skill that will increase all of a character’s stats by two points. The Golden Gaffe map is the first in a second set of three maps, and is also now available for $2.50. It pits players against a group of very wealthy enemies, and is a great way to earn gold. Nintendo plans to release fresh downloadable content in the weeks and months ahead to keep the adventure going with more playable characters and class types. The Champions of Yore 1 map is available as a free download through March 6th.
- Virtual Console – Two classic Game Boy Color games from Natsume, Harvest Moon and Legend of the River King, are on their way to the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console in the coming months.
- Buy and Register Nintendo 3DS XL, Get a Free Game – As a special promotion for people who have not yet purchased a Nintendo 3DS XL system, anyone who registers a Nintendo 3DS XL and either Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon or Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity between March 21st and April 30th will receive a code to download one of these five games for free from the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS: Super Mario 3D Land, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone!, Star Fox 64 3D or Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive!
- Nintendo eShop Sale – Nintendo 3DS owners can now buy and download select games from the Nintendo eShop at a discounted price for a limited time. These include BIT.TRIP SAGA from Aksys Games; Crashmo, Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword and Ketzal’s Corridors from Nintendo; Fractured Soul from Endgame Studios; and Mutant Mudds from Renegade Kid. One game will be available at the reduced price each week.
- Castlevania Demo – A demo of Konami’s Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate hits the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS on February 28th. The full digital game download launches on March 5th.
- Zelda Miiverse Community – Nintendo is launching a Miiverse community dedicated to The Legend of Zelda series today, letting fans discuss the past, present and future of this timeless franchise.
- City Mapping – The Wii Street U powered by Google application is now available as a free download for a limited time from the Nintendo eShop for Wii U. The application taps into the Google Maps service and allows users to get a 360-degree view of locations around the world using the Wii U GamePad.
- Razor’s Update – A new, free update to Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge later this month includes one new costume each for Ryu Hayabusa, Ayane, Momiji and Kasumi, as well as 25 new Ninja Trials missions.